Voltage regulator test

To: 6pack list <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Voltage regulator test
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:02:54 -0400
This past Spring, I had a problem with a newly rebuilt Lucas alternator. I
took the alternator back to the shop that rebuilt it and they graciously
replaced the diodes that were bad. They indicated that the diodes were
burned out due to a problem elsewhere in the electrical system.

Before the alternator went back into the car, the shop insisted that they
test the battery and the voltage regulator. The battery tested OK (it was a
new DieHard) and I just replaced the voltage regulator rather than take
another trip into Trenton (didn't have the VR with me at the time).

So, now for the question. Is there a way for me to test the old VR with a
multi tester? The unit has 4 spade connectors labeled as follows (from left
to right): B+, +, F, and -.

It is probably junk, but I hate to part with anything that might be good, or
repairable.

Thanks,
Peter
TR250 (do I spring for a new top this winter???)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: