A visit by the prince of darkness

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: A visit by the prince of darkness
From: DaCRANEz@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:21:45 EDT
Yesterday while on a cruise in the TR I happened on a tunnel.  When I turned
on the headlights the engine died-flicked the switch to off -engine restarted.
I repeated this a couple of times with same result. Pulled into a rest area
and starting checking wiring in ignition circuit.  At this point I found that
though all lights and guages worked but when I turned the key (with all lights
off) nothing would happen. The ignition light would glow but no starter. I
checked for blown fuses-all were intact.  Finally I pulled the green wire at
the
fuse block as I know it is fed by the white wire  that feeds the ignition.
The car started right up.  I plugged the green wire back in-engine died. I then
went about checking all lights. I found that the left rear turn signal was not
operating.  I pulled the socket out of the housing and reconnected after
crimping the ground wire connector as it was loose. These are new sockets that
have a ground wire connector builtin.  The bulb began flashing.  The TR started
right up.  All was well for the rest of the trip. How in the heck would a bad
ground connection on a turn signal affect  the ignition ?  This really has me
baffled. I studied Dan Master's last night but still couldn't figure it out.
Anybody have a similar problem or any input?
Mike C  '71 TR6

Check out the new British Cars Forum: