Re: [Fwd: Re: TR-6 Differential Carrier]

To: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: TR-6 Differential Carrier]
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:32:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Mitchel Seff wrote:

> Hi all,

Hey.

> I also recently pick up a used differential on eBay( out of a 76 with
> 65,000 miles) . After removing the back cover and checking backlash &
> eyeballing the rest this thing looks brand new. The gear oil was black
> but no metal sludge or filings. My original plan was to rebuild this
> unit before I installed it but because it's an unmolested & unabused
> example it's going in as is.
> My questions are,
> 1)Anything else I should look for

Nope. look for chips on the teeth and scoring on the bearing races . If
they are clean, plann to re-use.

If you are totally neurotic, you can check the gear pattern on the ring
rear, but if it's wrong, plan on spending some hours getting it right.

You als mention this is a late model... the late cars used a crush-type
spacer to set bearing pre-load. If you plan to replace the front main
seal, keep this in mind, because overtightening the pinion flange nut will
change the bearnig pre-load and you can fry the bearings if this happens.

> 2)I would like to wash the old gear oil out, what should I use

Use kerosene.

> 3)Has anyone used synthetic gear oil & what do you think

I've used Mobil 1 for years. The one problem is that Mobil 1 is GL5. There
are brass thrush washers in your diff (the sperical thrust washers to set
the planet/sun gear pattern). These will wear prematurely with GL5 oil.

> As always, thanks
>
> --
> Mitch Seff
> Oceanside, N.Y.
> 75 TR6
> http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/triumph5/

Yer welcome.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |

Check out the new British Cars Forum: