RE: heat shield for starter?

To: "'Jim Jones'" <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: heat shield for starter?
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:38:58 -0700
Jim Jones wrote: My header pipes (ceramic coated fyi) run beneath the
starter motor. Should I be concerned about the heat affecting the it? If so
I don't mind putting a shield on it, but I'd rather not do it unless it's a
REALLY good idea.

Jim,

Are we talking about the stock starter or do you have one of those
new-fangled gear reduction starters?  Are you having hot-soak start
problems? (You stop the car when it's fully warmed up and when you try to
start it 10 minutes later, the starter acts up).  I guess what I'm trying to
determine is whether you're trying to fix a problem or just worried about
what might happen.  When I had my stock starter with my header, I had
hot-soak problems that were solved by wrapping some of that heat reflective
blanket stuff around it (you can get it from Summit Racing and others - it's
in a size just to fit starters).  It worked great, but always looked sort of
Rube Goldberg-ish to me.  Plus it seemed to attract grease, oil and dirt.
When I switched to a new gear reduction starter, I fabricated an aluminum
shield to block header heat.  I don't know if it was really needed, but it
sure looks better than the blanket wrap.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6