are cam bearings necessary?

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: are cam bearings necessary?
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 21:06:40 EDT
I find myself in need of a short engine rebuild.  As much as the idea of
building a "high performance engine" appeals to me, the sad truth is that I
rarely have an opportunity to drive hard.  I like to accelerate fast as much as
anyone, but I rarely shift over 5000 rpms.  Most of the time I'm driving
sustained 2500-3000 rpms.  Currently I'm running  9.0:1 compression,
Strombergs, a
mildly ported head with headers, Falcon dual exhaust and a mild cam (unknown
specs.)  For the most part I'm satisfied with the performance of the engine,
although I'd enjoy a little more torque.  The head is new, the carbs and
ignition
are up to snuff, but the bottom end is sick.  What cost efficient (what ever
that means) improvements can I make to increase performance, reliability and
longevity?   Again, the idea of a wild cam, expensive induction changes and
bullet proof components are exciting, but the fact is I mostly drive the car to
work and on club outings, some of which are pretty long.  I've heard that
street
motors really don't need cam bearings.  I've priced the machine work for
this...ouch!  Is it really worth it?  Any ideas for a guy with $2500.00 to
spend on
a motor?
Joe Davis

Check out the new British Cars Forum: