Valve cover gasket leak

To: "tr6 List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve cover gasket leak
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:40:58 -0700
        Folks:

        Thought I would pass this along as something that might be
useful to others.

        Having rebuilt my motor last winter, I have been striving for
zero oil leaks from my 6. I have had 2 persistent ones, despite careful
attention to detail while assembling the motor. The most annoying has
been the valve cover.
        I tried a new gasket, careful torquing, checking for cover
warpage, etc. No joy. Always a persistent leak at the rear of the valve
cover, where gravity makes the oil pool during operation.
        Here is what finally worked for me: A new factory gasket,
attached to the cover using permatex. Then, a thin film of Hylomar on
the gasket face that mates to the head, just enough to make the gasket
glossy and smooth in appearance. Too much will simply be wasted.
        Pop that puppy on the motor, and don't over tighten the
fasteners. Just enough torque to squeeze a *tiny* bit of Hylomar out
from underneath the gasket.
        Voila! no oil leak. It was so simple, I wonder why I didn't try
it sooner.

        Now, to fix my one remaining leak and I will have achieved the
impossible: A British car that doesn't mess with your driveway! Hah!

        Vance

Check out the new British Cars Forum: