Re: Trailing Arm Bushings R&R

To: "Michael Corbitt" <michael_corbitt@ous.edu>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trailing Arm Bushings R&R
From: <trinitygadget@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:45:47 -0500
Mike--I did exactly what you're going to do a couple of years ago. In
hindsight, I would have upgraded to the 3-piece nylon bushings to make
reassembly easier, but I managed to get the uprated single-piece rubber
bushings in OK anyway.  Here's how I did it:  Get a section of schedule 40
(thick) PVC that is at least as long as the bushing, along with 2 thick washers
(one that fits the ID of the TA and the other the OD of the PVC) and a long
bolt and nut.  The bolt has to fit through the bushing sleeve (obviously).

My TA's were off the car to begin with (replaced all 8 frame attachment bolts;
they had rusted badly on their shanks), so I did this at my workbench. Put the
ID washer on the bolt, insert through the bushing sleeve and cap with the PVC
section, OD washer, and nut.  Then tighten the nut until the bushing is fully
pulled out and into the PVC.  It will help to spray WD-40 or similar into the
TA.

To install the new bushing, lube it and the TA generously (I used copper
anti-seize) and push the bushing into the PVC section. Reverse the washers this
time, putting the ID on the bolt first.  Pass the bolt through the bushing
sleeve and TA; cap with the OD washer and nut.  Tighten the nut to draw the
bushing into the TA.  You're done!

Good luck.

Rick O.
72 TR-6