Re: drilled brake rotors

To: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: drilled brake rotors
From: Walt Boeninger <walt.boeninger@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:53:38 -0700
Jim Jones wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with cross drilled brake rotors on their cars? I
>know that some modern cars benefit from them. What about our decidely
>UN-modern cars? Are their good and/or bad aspects?
>
> Thanks,

I have experience.  I put rather expensive Baer drilled/slotted rotors
on my 99 Corvette.  Looked cool...  worked great.

They lasted 2 years.  Cracks appeared around the holes, and when
they made it to the edge of the rotor radially, they were removed
and thrown away.  This is with 2-3 Track events per year

If you don't drive thw car hard, I'm sure they will last
much longer.  Maybe forever...

1) Pad wear is not an issue if you Open Track a car. You
  will replace pads often.
2) Rotors are expendable wear items.
3) Slotted rotors offer the same "outgassing" benefits, although
  most modern semi-metallic or Carbon-Kevlar pads do not out gas
  as do organic pads.

A good vented rotor with a good pad for the application is the
way to go.  And there is no such thing as a race pad that works
on the street, nor is there a street pad that works really well
on the track.

  ------
Regards

Walt Boeninger - Nor Cal SAAC         67 GT500     | 67 Shelby T-A #31
http://www.norcal-saac.org            71 Boss 351  | 97 5.0 Explorer
mailto:walt.boeninger@hp.com          99 C5 Hdtp   | 02 Mustang GT