front spring turret - i'm in big trouble

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: front spring turret - i'm in big trouble
From: "Loriot, George" <George_Loriot@Brown.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:51:34 -0400
Dear listers,

I'm afraid my trusty 1976 TR6 is in big trouble, maybe someone has an idea to
fix this.

The left front spring 'turret' has cracked making the car undriveable, at least
safely.  The crack is in the side piece of the 'turret' that supports the round
section that in turn is where the spring seats. This results in the left front
sagging quite a bit, and the wheel is canted out at the bottom, and is clearly
ready to break off completely. A new turret could be welded in, if the chassis
is not rusted too badly, is that right?  But TRF no longer has availability of
the part (and I suppose I should really replace both sides anyhow).  Have any
of you folks had this problem?  Is there some way around it, or are my TR6 days
over?

There's local (Rhode Island) shop that could probably fabricate a turret; any
other ideas?  All help from this terrific list would be greatly appreciated.

George Loriot
1976 TR6