Re: Flushing out oil cooler

To: "Ashford Little" <webmaster@gatriumph.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Flushing out oil cooler
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 20:36:02 -0400
Ashford Little wrote:

> Thanks for your explanation Kai, however, it has brought on
> another question:  how long should one use an oil cooler before
> they should begin to worry about said deposits?
>
> I do realize the YMMV.

Well, that is a good question.  The recommendation that I have always given
to MGB owners (all MGBs had oil coolers) is to replace them during engine
rebuilds.  Otherwise, if you are unsure of your engine's condition and your
engine's maintenance history, then simply monitor your oil carefully during
oil changes for any particles and be diligent about changing the filter at
every oil change as well.

Dropping your oil pan every few years and checking for bits laying on the
bottom, and also inspecting a main or rod bearing if you have the pan off,
also would be helpful clues in determining your engine's overall health and
not just when it would be good to replace your oil filter.  Suffice to say,
if you suspect you have engine bits getting into your oil cooler, you have
much bigger problems than just replacing the oil cooler.

If you want to be obsessive about it, and there is nothing wrong with that,
you can pick-up oil analyzation kits online and at some auto stores.  You
fill a test tube up with your oil, seal it, fill out some forms, and then
mail it off to the testing firm.  You wait two-three weeks and they mail you
back the results.  They analyze the quantities of metal and other compounds
they find in your oil, and tell you things like the percentage of
aluminum/tin (high alu-tin concentrations in your oil would be an indication
of heavy main/rod/cam bearing wear somewhere).  These oil testing firms also
test for the presence of moisture and antifreeze, trace amounts can
adversely affect your engine over time... it just does not take a major head
gasket failure.  Yahoo throws up this link first
http://www.herguth.com/used-oil-test-kit.htm and the SpectroChemical link on
that page bring you here, for further explanation on what they check for and
where those metals may come from:

http://www.herguth.com/testing/spectro.htm

That is just one firm, there are many more offering the same service with
basically the same prices.  The prices range from $15-$25 for the basic
tests.  I've seen places going up to $75 for really extensive testing...
maybe if my TR6 was built by NASA then that would be worthwhile.

If you can't find the kits at the local auto store, try a boat store if
there is one near you...

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke