Re: Barrett-Jackson auction thoughts

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Barrett-Jackson auction thoughts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:33:40 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Navarrette, Vance wrote:

>       Robert:

Hi.

>       Don't mince words, tell us what you REALLY think. =:-o

Okay.

Here's the deal. Barrett-J gets a commission based on teh selling price
(obviously), so it's to thier advantage to push the price up. So the $20k
you spend on the whatever winds up being about $22k. YIKES. That and the
fact that what they promote as rare is pretty questionable.

I suppose if you have money to burn, it's kool.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go to a Barrett-J auction to see the cars
and the other eye candy, but I think Craig et al are just a bunch of
self-promoting oppotunists. What value do they really add to the car
hobby?? I mean is a "clone" muscle car really worth the money? The anser
is yes, as long as there are enough SUCKERS out there with more money than
brains.

>       Vance

Now back to my nap.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |