Re: Engine storage

To: YEAHBABYTR6@msn.com
Subject: Re: Engine storage
From: Mark Riddle <dunamis6@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:59:00 -0400
John,
It is possible to store an assembled engine for a period of time,
although it is not the best way to do it. As you say, it is sometimes a
necessity.
Here is what I did when I took 3 years to get the assembled engine into
the car.
I blanked off any open ports (manifold, water...) with duct tape, after a
spray dose of penetrant oil.
Every couple of months, I used a 1/2" rod with a slot in it (to fit the
oil pump drive), and spun the oil pump for 20-30 seconds. Then I rotated
the crank 3-4 revolutions (forgot to mention-I put Marvel's Mystery Oil
into the spark plug opening before turning the engine-maybe a
tablespoon).
Although it would probably be better in a warm location (heated), mine
sat outside (summer and winter), covered of course.
It can be done, but "your mileage may vary" as they say, and as I said
earlier, it's not the best way to treat a "fresh" engine.

Mark Riddle
"72 TR6

John wrote
How long can the engine sit without long term