Re: Thanks for the help!

To: <apackard68@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Thanks for the help!
From: "Riveting Images" <kerry@riveting-images.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:32:59 -0500
My attitude towards driving these cars on long trips is that the car doesn't
know if it's on a long trip, or many short trips around town. Actually,
cruising down the highway uses fewer systems than driving around town (less
clutching/shifting/braking/hard steering, etc.). I stay in touch with what
my car tells me over time so I know if something might be on the verge.
Plus, these cars are pretty simple compared to new cars. If my Grand Caravan
doesn't start, it's almost a waste of time for me to even look under the
hood. About all I can do is make sure I have a battery and the cable is
attached. With the Triumph, I can dig in and find (and fix) the problem,
with minimal tools. The only real breakdown I ever had was in a GT6 in a
Chicago traffic jam. One of the rubber fitting in the accelerator linkage
craked and lost it's grip on a threaded rod. All I had with me was an exacto
knife from wiring in a speaker the night before. Among the debris on the
side of the highway I found a heavy gauge length of wire and madse it into a
twist tie to force the rubber link to hold onto the threads. It was meant as
a temporary, but after I sold the car two years later I remembered the wire
was still in there!

Now picking up a "new" car and taking it 900 miles is a risk as you have no
real idea what the mechanical shape is, but a car you've had for a few
months should deliver few surprises.

Drive 'em if you got 'em!

Blue Skies....

Kerry