Re: Carb needle valve and choke..

To: gary@tpartners.net (Gary R.)
Subject: Re: Carb needle valve and choke..
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 00:40:55 -0700 (PDT)
Gary---If you can find some Grose Jets for your carbs, I believe they're
less sensitive to sticking open or closed. Still, it would be better to
filter out what ever is causing your present needle valves to stick
open.

The cam you have may require  more fuel than the stock needles can
provide at idle. It has sort of an odd opening and closing time with
what looks like a very short overlap. Regardless, you may have to go
with needles that are thinner. esp. at the first two intervals. (The
jets are fine) Joe Curto is known to have a good selection.

Having to use a lot of CHOKE to keep it running suggests two things: Not
enough ignition advance when (trying) to idle under 1,000rpms, or you're
not getting enough fuel past the needles. You'll want to check the float
heights here, if you haven't already done so. (I'd go with the higher
16mm float height for starters.)
Also adjust the needles now in place up as high as they will go. Be sure
to close off any unmetered air.

You didn't mention the compression ratio of this engine. It's always
good to run more than the stock ratio when fitting a cam like the one
you have.

Dick