ring gear movement

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: ring gear movement
From: "JIMMY RICHARDS" <andr.jrsquared@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:38:18 -0600
I've had a chronic problem with the starter on my '74 not engaging the ring
gear consistently.  I was stumped because I could not see any evidence of wear
on the ring gear. And only veryslight wear on the starter (gear reduction
starter).  I've been through the gamut of possible problems from new battery,
new starter relay, new starter, and a short in the wire from the keyed starter
switch to the solenoid.

Recently I read on the list where the ring gear could be driven back on the
flywheel out of reach of the starter gear.  I pulled my transmission and found
the ring gear backed off the lip on the flywheel by at least 1/4" - 5/16".
There was some wear on the corner of the ring gear.

I checked the ring gear status on a '76 engine that I recently acquired and
the ring gear was back about 1/16" from the lip. There was no noticeable wear
on either the starter or ring gear.

What causes the ring gear to be driven back? How do you prevent it?

How much wear on the starter gear is too much?

Do you press the ring gear back into place or replace?

Thanks,
Jimmy Richards
'74 TR6