RE: Light Switch

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Light Switch
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:59:51 -0700
        John:

        All I know is what I have read:

        The original switch was made by Clear Hooters, and locked into the
dash. It was later subject to a recall for electrical fires.
        The Triumph dealers replaced the Clear Hooters with a Lucas switch.
This switch is larger, and requires the opening in the wood facia to be hogged.
The switch was supposed to be a press fit, as the opening in the metal backing
of the facia was too small to accommodate the Lucas design. The Lucas switch
does not have a "latching" provision that is compatible with the design of the
TR dash, and so you must use a press fit of some sort.
        So which is better? The clear hooters is mechanically compatible, but
was prone to fires. The Lucas is electrically compatible, but fit is
problematic.
        It may be that later Clear Hooters switches no longer have the fire
problem. Don't know, and don't care since I am using a Lucas switch. I added a
shim in the wood of the facia opening to get a tight press fit, and trimmed the
sheet metal backing to accommodate the larger Lucas switch.

        Cheers,

        Vance