Re: regular or hardened lifters for stock cam?

To: 6pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: regular or hardened lifters for stock cam?
From: Jay Snable <jsnable@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:21:30 -0700
I just wanted to update the list on the off-line replies I received
regarding my potential cam swap. First, Vance recommended that I not
just put the cam back in with new lifters, but have it reground (or go
with a new one). I also inspected the old cam more carefully and found
some slight pitting. Thanks also to Bob for relating his experiences.
Dick T. came up with some astute predictions about the new cam,
including about what the mixture should be set at (about 12:1). I
raised the needles all the way tonight (I had been trying to tune the
idle more towards stoichiometric) and the idle smoothed out nicely. I
was then able to lower the idle speed to about 1000 without getting the
sputtering I had before. The O2 meter gives a reading of about 13:1 at
idle. I haven't driven on the road yet, but will give it a go tomorrow.
It certainly isn't like the stock idle, but it is a quite a bit better
and I do enjoy how the engine is running now.

Jay
73 TR6