Lucas Sport Coil & .035" Spark Plug Gap

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas Sport Coil & .035" Spark Plug Gap
From: "Don Vinton" <don_vinton@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:10:08 -0700
All,

Recently, I tuned up my '74 6.  Everything was replaced except the coil
which was on backorder.  The tune up went as expected and my 6 was running
just fine.  When I picked up the coil the shop supplied me at no extra cost
a Lucas Sport Coil.

Before installing this coil I researched through the 6pack threads on how to
take advantage of this coil since my 6 has a ballasted ignition system.  Per
the threads and Dan Masters VTR article I gapped the plugs to .035" and
rerouted the resistor bypass wire from the starter relay to the fuse box.

My 6 would idle and run at speed just fine but, starting from a dead start I
had un-acceptable missing in the 850 - 1800 rpm range.  Re-gapping to .030"
did not change this behavior.  Re-gapping to .025" put everything back to
normal.

I'm tempted to adjust the timing but none of the threads mentioned making
any other adjustments.  So, before going any further I though I'd address
this great body of knowledge.

I look forward to any assistance you may offer.

Best regards,

Don Vinton
'74 Magenta 6