Transmission Removal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission Removal
From: Gameparker@cs.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:57:18 EDT
Good Evening List,
does anyone have the definitive steps for the removal of a tranny while
keeping the motor in place?  I have heard it can be done, I just don't know if
it's
best to pull it from above or under the car.  Should the driveshaft be
removed to aid in the pulling back of the tranny to clear the mainshaft (tranny
has
OD)?  Your input is always appreciated.  FWIW, I am doing this to resolve the
fact that the tranny cannot be put into gear with the engine running.  In
playing around with the pushrod positioning, I found that it has to be placed
about 1/2" higher than the top hole before I feel the "pop" of the diaphragm
spring - not good!  It is possible that I placed the clutch disk the wrong way
around, so off the tranny must come, but I just can't bear to pull the engine
too.
Thanks as always,
Geoff 74 TR6