Horn Contact Question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Horn Contact Question
From: Grant Kester <gkester@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:43:12 -0700
Dear List,

The horn in my '69 TR6 began acting up recently (starting to honk on
its own while I drive down the street; very embarrassing). I removed
the wheel and experimented with the horn brush contact assembly (the
plastic tube fitted with a spring and metal contacts that links the
horn button on the steering wheel to the horn circuit in the steering
column).

I seemed to be getting a reliable circuit AFTER the horn brush contact
so I figured it was either the contact or the steering wheel button (or
"horn push assembly" as Moss calls it). I ordered the 2.6" horn contact
assembly, which Moss shows as the correct replacement for a 1969 horn.
It also seemed to be the same length as the old one (although it's hard
to be sure whether or not they are including the entire spring loaded
contact in their measurement).

I've installed the new contact but it still doesn't work, and it
appears to be too short to even make contact with the back of the horn
push assembly. Before I go through the time and hassle of returning the
old contact assembly and ordering the "post-1969" version (which is
3.4" long), I wanted to ask if anyone else has run into this
problem/discrepancy. Does the post-'69" contact fit correctly?

Thanks,
Grant Kester