Re: Speedo Pinion Drive Removal

To: John Cohen <jmcoh@together.net>
Subject: Re: Speedo Pinion Drive Removal
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:15:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, John Cohen wrote:

> Hi,
> I am having a hard time removing the speedometer pinion drive gear.  The
> Bentley book leads me to believe that it is simply a matter of removing the
> locking bolt and withdrawing the drive, but I cannot get the drive to budge.
> I have tried a little heat and PB Blaster with no effect.  Any tips?

I always use a broken speedo cable partially threaded onto the drive gear
housing. I _gently_ pry against the lip of the speedo cable to get it to
wiggle out.

The key here is to avoid damaging the threads on the housing.

Note: the o-ring makes very good contact with the tail housing and
sometimes considerable effort is required to get the thing out.

One the plus side, if the thing is a real pain to get out, the seal is
probably okay. Or at least it _was_ probably okay 'till you pulled it out.

:-)

> John Cohen
> Rutland, Vermont
> 76 TR6