Re: Rattling Rear Six

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Rattling Rear Six
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:58:06 EDT
tr6taylor@webtv.net writes:

> Darrell---Bang on the exhaust pipes with the heal of your hand, to see
> if you can duplicate what you are hearing. (Did that with no problems)
>
> Check that the four bolts that hold the trailing arm brackets to the
> frame are tight.  (need to check that out)
>
> I agree with Berry that it sounds like a loose shock. (they are tight)
>
> Check everything in the trunk. Empty it if in doubt, to test.
>
> Any chance some wise guy put a bolt, etc. in your gas tank?  (I wish)
>
> Test for clank in the drive train, with the back and forth wheel
> movement, by hand.  (bad left hub)
>
> Turn up the radio.
>
> Dick

Dick,
I just jacked her up and she has a lot of play in the left rear hub.  The
splines that side in the axle seem sloppy back and forth to boot. I can even
feel
a hitch in the whole axle when you turn it back and forth. You can get it to
rattle a little bit. Obviously a major malfunction of some sort. You think
this is it? The right side hub is new, last year I think, when I put the new
shocks on. No play in that one. I must have cheaped out and thought I could get
away with just one hub. I have so many cars I forget what is going on with each
individual.
No Cheers,
Hubs are Big $$$$$$$
Darrell
I wish it was tools in the trunk!
That dang original radio won't go loud enough!