Re: Rear crank seal

To: Cliff Davies <cdavies@holzher.com>
Subject: Re: Rear crank seal
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:07:08 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Cliff Davies wrote:

> In the Comp Prep Manual there is mention of
> installing the rear crank seal assembly
> back to the block using a special tool to line it
> up. This is the only place I have ever
> heard mention of this. Can anyone tell me if this
> is critical?

I've never used the tool, but all my main seals leak when I really beat on
the engine... so there's probably something to it.

> Same deal on the distributor end float it is in
> Bentley's, I have never seen a post on this
> subject either. I bet a gasket is put down dizzy
> attached and away we go.

Ah - I know about this one. I highly recommend that you follow the
prescribed process. If you don't, you can get a little bit of timing
variance between the timing gear moving up/down (changing the cam timing).
This is because the variance of the dizzy gear to housing clearance and
the end-float in  the dizzy itself can "add up" and cause some issues.

For a street motor it almost does not matter, but for a higher end motor
(read high compression and tweaked timing), this could put you in the "red
zone" and you could def. get detonation.

You can see this pretty easily by watching your idle timing jumping
around... If it jumps around at idle, you can bet for sure that it'll
bounce around at high RPMs.

It's def. worth doing.

> Just curious.
> Thanks,
> Cliff

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |