An almost disasterous moment..valves

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: An almost disasterous moment..valves
From: "Alan & Debbie Lindner" <theedge@cts.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 22:37:58 -0700
Yesterday I adjusted my valves to compensate for my cam.  My
question before I get into the story.  Are the nuts on the ends of the
rockers supposed to be the narrower or thinner size as compared to
a standard nut.  It is 5/8 UNF.  It does not allow a lot of threads.

So I adjusted my valves and went today to Rolling British Car Day
in San Diego.  About 100 British cars driving around the country
side.  Well my valves starting makes noise and getting louder.  I
pulled into a school in Fair Banks Ranch and open the hood only to
see my valve cover going up and down.  Borrowed some tools from
a fire truck that was luckily there and pulled off my valve cover only
to find one nut had worked its way off and was sitting angled on the
end of the adjustment screw.  I was so lucky that it did not take the
jump of death into my engine.  Well I put the nut back on and
adjusted it the best I can without a feeler gauge and was back on
my way.  I now have a nice dent on my valve cover.  I guess I
should talk to Jim Swarthout about those new valve covers.  Finally
made it to the pub to get a fixin of fish and chips.  A special thank
you goes to my wife who assisted in the repair.

Alan Lindner
'72 TR6 French Blue
CC75676L
San Diego, CA