Carb rebuild

To: "TR6 list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb rebuild
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:28:01 -0700
Listers,

I am planning to rebuild my 1973 TR6 carbs due to one of them not rich enough
even at full rich setting, the idle speed varies over the course of a drive
(especially low on warmer days) and the car is hard starting when hot.  I have
read the Buckeye rebuild instructions and plan to buy the TRF rebuild kits.

It looks as though one doesn't typically replace the metering needle valves,
is this correct?  If the existing diaphragms look OK should I re-use them? I
have had no problems with the float bowl needle valves, should I just soak
them in lacquer thinner and re-use them?  Is it usually sufficient to replace
just the neoprene portion of the shaft seals or is it best replace the
"Throttle Shaft Seal, complete" as shown in the TRF catalogue?

I'm trying to anticipate my parts needs as best I can so I can finish the job
without waiting for a second shipment of parts.  The cost of parts to be
replaced is not an issue, I just don't want to replace something that may be
best left alone.

Gary
'73