Rear Wheel Hubs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Wheel Hubs
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:53:14 -0700 (PDT)
E-mail message

Don wrote:

Re: Click in rear wheel
Mark,
Late for work -- got to run. I'm the original owner. It has 60K miles.
Dick Taylor said the hubs were good for 120K. ...
Don

I replied to Don off list saying that I would not change a hub that has
ony 60 thousand miles on it, based solely on a "click" heard from this
general area.  The 120 thousand miles said to be the life of these hubs
was an estimate based on what others have reported to be the mileage
when they changed theirs. I for one, have one hub still original on the
left side, and the other changed after 300 thousand miles. I only
changed the right side when a wobble was detected, by shaking the tire
top to bottom. It showed a measurable vertical rock of 3/16 inch. (The
left side is still solid)

Somewhat related is the rebuilt hubs provided by TRF. I thought one was
too tight, as delivered. A call to Dave persuaded me to install this
hub, and that this was the way they set them up. The one installed on
Jonathan's TR apparantly has held up well. The one later installed on my
own car, also "tight", is fine.

Dick Taylor