Re: Stripped Stud in Trailing Arm

To: lang@isis.mit.edu ("Robert M. Lang"),
Subject: Re: Stripped Stud in Trailing Arm
From: lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:00:28 -0400
In the process of installing my new hubs and half-shafts, I was unable to
tighten the studs to the proper torque.  I may have stripped them.  They may
have been already stripped. Who knows.  Unfortunately I had already rebushed
and reinstalled the trailing arms.   Two questions:  1.  So what? An "expert"
just told me that he has never taken off a hub without finding at least one
stud stripped out.  Is this the cause of the wheel falling off incidents I've
heard about.  My "expert" told me not to worry about it.  2.  Is it possible to
helicoil the trailing arm in situ?  I'm not inclined to take these trailing
arms off...again.
Joe Davis