TR6 lightweight steel flywheels

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 lightweight steel flywheels
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:03:05 -0500
All,

I spoke again with Bob at Southwick Machine about the lightweight (8.5lbs
w/o r/gear) steel flywheels for the short-nose TR6 crankshafts.  His CNC man
is nervous about doing a run of 1-2 wheels because of the cost and work, but
it would be worthwhile for 5 units. [Bob also indicated that they are about
to start the run of alloy front hubs...contact him direct at 309-949-2868 if
you are interested].

I've heard from several (3) of you, but usually with the proviso that the
cost of the wheel be around $300.  For 5 units, that isnt going to happen.
Think about it, alloy flywheels cost $325 on eBay.  You think steel will be
cheaper?  The cost could be $300 for a run of 10 or more, but I have not
seen a stampede for check books.

I understand that Jack Drews is pinging the FOT list.  I also spoke with
Richard Good to see if he would carry the wheels, but Richard is happy with
his current product line.  I've yet to talk to Ted Schumacher and Ken
Gillander, but given the current economic climate, would expect a similar
response.

A steel flywheel from the UK will cost $580.  Surface shipping is $75, and
by air it is $108.  So unless we get the numbers which will pay for the CNC
codes to be generated here in the USA (which will make subsequent runs
cheaper), then the UK prices will be as cheap as it will *ever* get.

I'm on international travel until Apr 28, so will be unsubscribing from the
list till then.  I may not be able to read my mail, so if any of you write
to me, please be patient till I return.

Cheerio,

Shane