Fuel pump leaking

To: "6 List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel pump leaking
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 14:20:31 -0500
It's always a bit scary for me to fire up a freshly built engine, and
yesterday was no exception as I turned the key on CF37325U (having
previously cranked it without plugs to get oil pressure) and after a few
revolutions it tried to fire. A little help from the choke and she fired
right up. I intended to run her for 20 minutes at 2000 rpm to bed in the
cam and lifters, but after 10 minutes I smelled fuel and noticed the
fuel pump was leaking so I shut her down to investigate. Amazingly, this
was the only leak from the engine! I fully expected to see a drop or two
from somewhere but I guess 10 minutes is not long enough for any oil to
find it's way to freedom.
Anyway, it seems the fuel is coming from around the fuel pump cover. It
was not leaking 7 years ago when it last pumped petrol. Having many,
many years ago stripped the threads on the cap hold down bolt by over
tightening, I cautiously tightened it a bit but it still leaks a little.
I loosened the cap and fuel started pouring out. Seems in the past I
could remove the cover on TR6 fuel pumps without fuel pouring out. My
questions are; is fuel supposed to pour out when the cover is
loosened/removed? If so, since the pump seems to be doing its job, do I
only need a cover gasket, or is a rebuild in order because fuel is
getting beyond the diaphragm?
Any insight or suggestions are welcomed since I know nothing of the
inner workings of the fuel pump.

Thanks,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA