Re: Brake Drums

To: David Friedlander <forzion@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Drums
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:58:05 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, David Friedlander wrote:

> Hey List!
>
> Can anyone tell me the year(s) and models of the Datsun Z-car
> whose aluminum drums can be machined to fit the TR rear axle? Any
> chance a Nissan dealer still has them in stock? Or a NAPA Store?

I saw the other answers on the list - good info.

If you do wind up sourcing some old drums from a "z car" (all 240, 260 and
early 280Z's), you need to do a couple of things to get the drums to fit.
First off, you have to size the middle hole to your Triumph hub, this is
simple. The thing that's apain with the 240Z alley drums is that the out
"lip" of the drum is much more shallow than the Triumph backing plate
"lip". The result is that you either have to modify the drum (you need to
mill some material out) or the backing plate. If you modify the backing
plate and then go back to the stock drums, you've made a nice easy spot
for crud to get inside the brake drum.

This is a case where getting the right part will make a difference in how
the thing goes back together (and how it works).

I've gone both routes, I'll take the "proper" drums if/when I do this job
again.

> Dave Friedlander
> CF25194UO - '74

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |