Re: Old wives tale?

To: Ted Stevens <trstevens@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Old wives tale?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:31:57 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Ted Stevens wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:50:12 -0700 (PDT) Sally or Dick Taylor
> <tr6taylor@webtv.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]I see no way "the wheel could come off" if an axle should break. Such an
> unlikely episode would also require that all six bolts that
> secure the hub to the trailing arm would have to
> let go.
> If this happened, it must've been on the solid axle TR's, but not the
> ones with IRS.[snip]
>
> I believe those 6 bolts *can* let go, since they strip so easily.

If they are installed properly, they will take pretty sever loads without
pulling out. Keep in mind that the 6 bolts are mounted in shear, not
tension...

> Is the "Tonys_Rollover.mpg" video file still available somewhere? Was that an
> IRS car or solid axle? Did the axle break, or the hub just let loose in that
> case?

Tony's rollover was a TR4 solid axle. The outer axle broke off and the
wheel departed the car.

He has a "Southwick axle conversion" in the car. This converts the Triumph
stock TR4 axle housing to a "semi-floating axle" setup. If the axle
breaks, the wheel _should_stay on the car.

> Ted Stevens
> 74 TR6

regards,
rml
74 TR6 and '73 TR6.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |