Fwd: OD tranny

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: OD tranny
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:32:33 -0700 (PDT)
As others have stated, it's much easier to pick up a gearbox that
already has o/d on it.  Bolting an o/d unit to your non-o/d gearbox is
harder than it sounds.  It requires a new mainshaft, because
o/d-equipped gearbox need a different lenght mainshaft.  Two problems
here: finding an o/d spec mainshaft (hard to find as well as
expensive), and installing the new mainshaft requires complete
disassembly of the gearbox.

If you can find a gearbox with o/d for sale, it's easy to slip it right
into your car.  However, since you have a 1970 car, you need a gearbox
with A type o/d, because a J type box won't bolt up to your gearbox
mount.  If you want to fit a J type box in your car, you'll need to
modify the chassis mounting points.  I believe there may be a kit out
there for this, but not sure....  There is no difference in drive
shafts, but you will have to add the o/d switch on the steering column,
and wire it all up.  Dead easy to do though, TRF sells all the pieces.
I put an A type in my car, no problems.

Best thing, find an A type-equipped gearbox for sale and throw it in.
Or, you could always go with the Toyota 5 speed conversion.  The price
would probably be similar, and you'd get that legendary Toyota
reliability!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6