RE: Alternators and Electrical Systems

To: "David Friedlander" <forzion@maine.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Alternators and Electrical Systems
From: "Stephen L. Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:32:40 -0700
Greetings list,

having followed the threads on both of these subjects, and seeing the
comment below it got me thinking.

If you put more load (AC, big stereo etc) you will almost certainly see a
drop on the voltmeter, no matter how big an alternator you have.

I have seen a few comments about the very small wiring that Triumph used.
This doesn't just apply to the headlights.  The problem could be fixed with
bigger wire, but then you have the problems of switch contact size.
Anything that adds resistance will cause a voltage drop.  If you alternator
is putting out at medium charge (say 25 amps) all it takes is 0.5 Ohms to
drop 12.5 Volts, 0.1 Ohms drops it 2.5 Volts.  Any one of those really neat
bullet connectors / splices can cause that small increase in resistance.  As
the load goes down the voltage drop goes down and the voltmeter starts
reading "normally" again.

Steve Hanselman
tr6@kc4sw.com
1972 TR6