Re: Roll Bars - Do they add to safety?

To: jay_welch@juno.com
Subject: Re: Roll Bars - Do they add to safety?
From: william mcintire <william.mcintire@wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:32:11 -0400
Hi
Thot I'd throw in my .06 worth on roll bars.

Were it not for a bar, this message would not be
appearing. Had a GT-350 w/ the factory bar - made
a lot of jokes about closet rods in da car ect.
Then one day a 5 ton truck saw fit to disregard a
stop sign on a county road. I apparently hit him
at ~50 mph in the right front corner of the truck.
The truck rolled over onto the Shelby and the
bouced off according to witnesses. The car top was
mashed down, except where the bar was. It kept the
roof and the truck for mashing me and here I am -
a lot of scars and operations later, but here.

I agree they tend to look sorta Rickey Racerish on
the street and the  probability of ever needing
one is incredibly  small .....BUT - if that day
comes - THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE.

Here endeth Bill's overreaction for the day FWIW
Bill   '70 6