Re: Advice on cylinder head

To: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Advice on cylinder head
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 21:55:40 -0500
Hugh,

Here are my thoughts on the head.

British Parts NW have the short pushrods if you need them. You need them
if, after milling, you don't have enough adjustment at the rocker arms.

I personally use hardened seats in the exhaust side. The intake seats
are unnecessary unless the head is badly worn at the seats.

I use the cast guides with an additional seal on the guide for oil
control. I believe it is an MGB seal.

The stock valves are adequate for street use, the ss exhaust valve sold
by BPNW is the valve I use for replacement. I would have your machine
shop mic all new valves you purchase, because I have found large
variance in stem diameter in some suppliers replacements.

I like a mild cam in the TR6 motor. Too much cam won't give enough
vacuum at idle to allow use of downdraft carbs (in my experience). I
would NOT spend money on cam bearings unless your block is worn in the
cam bores, you are running high spring pressures, or you don't care how
much you spend. Elgin cams in CA. has a nice grind for TR6, and can
harden the cam for you. I always have one around. The GP3 seems to get
high marks from those that have used it.

The mod that I WOULD recommend is to pin the skimpy thrust washers to
the block. Balancing would be my second choice, and also to clean up the
head with a light grinding to smooth the area around the plug, and any
rough casting flash. The motor will ping less with more advance, and
shut off cleaner.

As far as the bottom end... if you don't see a nice crosshatch in your
bores, yank the pistons, rent a cylinder hone, and freshen up the bores
with new rings. You'll be glad you did. at the same time, you'll change
the rod bearings and inspect the main bearings. If you see copper,
replace them too. It can be done without pulling the engine. I'd also
replace the thrust washers OIL GROOVES TOWARD THE CRANK!!! The Haynes
manual is wrong in the way it depicts this, and is responsible for many
ruined motors IMHO.

One mod I'd like to see is a roller cam follower. That would be a nice
item. Anyone know of a source??

Jim