A-Type Gearbox Compatability

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: A-Type Gearbox Compatability
From: "Bernard Robbins" <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:01:55 +1300
Hi Folks,

A friend of mine has a TR5 with a very sad gearbox (think rock crusher). To
keep the car on the road, one of our options is to replace his box with an
A-type box from a saloon car (which there are plenty of here in NZ) while we
rebuild the old one.

Before we go out and commit money to buying a box, can anybody tell me if
there are any significant differences in between the saloon and TR5/6 A-Type
box - ie. mounting points or speedo drives etc.

Thanks in advance!

Bernard

'73 TR6 PI (steering rack rebuild on the way...)

p.s. did I read somewhere that this year is the 100th aniversary of the
first Triumph motorised vehicle? Sounds like a good excuse for an event...