Re: Rear Bumper - Late Model

To: CP25616@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rear Bumper - Late Model
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:42:02 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 CP25616@aol.com wrote:

> Anyone know if there is a different side mounting hole location for the
> side rear bumper assemblies.

Yes, there at least two different forward extension pices for US Spec.
TR6's. The 74.5 and later had the bumpers mounted about .5 inches higher
than the earlier ones.

> The side mounting holes bolt into the rear
> quarter panels.  My originals from my 75 TR6 have the side mounting hole
> located near the bottom of the bumper piece.

That's the correct one for your car.

> I have a set of new side
> bumper pieces with one having the side mounting hole located in the
> middle and not near the bottom.

This sounds like the earlier piece.

> So the two don't match up and can't be
> installed.

Right, they don't fit.

> Could this be an earlier TR6 mounting location or just an
> error on a rechroming/fixing job?

Well, something tells me we're missing some information here. If this part
came off your car, then the job was probably done wrong. If the part was
sourced as either new or used, then you obatined the wrong part for your
car. As a point of reference, the Moss on-lin catalog
(www.mossmotors.com) lists two parts for this "corner bar"... using the
RH side example, the early cars use part 854-085 which is "available" for
around $100. The later style part number is 854-740 and listed as N/A. I'd
give you TRF numbers, but I don't have a TR6 parts catalog handy right
now... wait, I just looked on my old computer. The Triumph part number
that you need (assuming RH side extension) is WKC2444 according to the '99
TRF price list. Ironically, no part number is listed for the left side...
draw your own conclusions.

I guess you have two options. 1. find a correct late piece and use that
(or get it re-chromed etc.) or 2. switch to the early style (lower)
bumper.

Depending on where you live, option 2 might not be available to you...

You should be able to source a late bumper extension. But probably not new
unless you hook up with someone that has some NOS late bumpers hanging
around.

I'd offer you one of mine, but mine are all early style (and pretty tatty,
frankly).

As for Alan Graham's posting - it may be that the source of the part that
you got was from another Triumph model, but you need to use the actual
Triumph part numbers to figure that out. It doesn't surprize me that the
parts are used on models other than the TR6... Triumph used a lot of parts
shelf engineering. For example I've always thought that the Stag rear
bumper looks awfully familiar to me as a TR6 owner...

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |