Re: What's normal comp 4 TR6

To: madmax_xx@hotmail.com (Shane Ingate)
Subject: Re: What's normal comp 4 TR6
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:53:16 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, Shane---As you know, a compression test measures pressure, and while
it's related to the compression ratio, the two are different. It's
possible to have a high CR and not have high pressure. A lot depends on
the type of cam shaft used and to some degree, how the cam is timed. In
any case, a compression test measures the air trapped between the piston
top and the combustion chamber. Under most circumstances, a low
compressioned head will give back lower pressure readings. I just
measured fellow owner J. Lopez' 1974, recently overhauled engine. Stock
head at 3.580. It showed 120 lb. with a performance cam. After
installing a stock cam, (long story) the pressure rose to 125 lb,
indicating the performance cam bled off some of the pressure before both
valves closed.

In short, I don't think there are many stock '74's that have a CR as
high as yours. It would be interesting for others with the late (stock)
head to give feed back on this.

Listers?

Dick Taylor