Re: Tires - Let's be safe!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tires - Let's be safe!
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 09:05:32 +0100
>  The accident was blamed on the failure of his old tires.
>Please, everyone, if you have old, original tires that you want to use for
>show purposes, only use them for that purpose.  Keep another set of tires
>and wheels with modern tires for running at highway speeds or normal
>driving.  Me - I run on 2 year old 205/70x15s and keep an old tube-type
>Michelin redline as my spare.
>
>Rex Townsend

I'd like to second this one.

Last year we set out across France on two new tyres, one almost new
tyre & one 'old' tyre, which nonetheless had plenty of tread & no
sign of damage. We reached the centre of France by Autoroute without
incident, however the return journey began with a wooden palette
lifting off a trailer I was following, and crashing into the road in
front of me. The hard steering needed to avoid this must have
weakened the old tyre: just minutes after joining the autoroute it
burst, & the car ended up a write off.

A new body & chassis later & its back on the road, but I won't be
caught on old tyres again....
--
William Davies
1975 TR6 PI