New Top Installation

To: "6 Pack Digest" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Top Installation
From: "John Phillips" <TR6@vigoris.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 17:08:56 -0500
Walt

I put a new Robbins top on my car this spring.  The snaps along the bottom
are just right at the moment but shrinkage is certainly a possibility.

I am not happy with the top.  The sides over the windows are about an inch
short.  They do not reach the Velcro on the frame.

Amco was bought out and being moved from one location to another at the time
and their tops were not available so I bought the Robbins for more money.  I
should have waited.  I hear the Amco tops fit better.

If you do not have a source in mind check out British Parts Northwest.  Best
prices I found.

Installation tip: A good leather punch from a tack store works great for
making it easy to get the snaps through multiple layers of material.  Okies
know what tack is, if any one needs a definition, let me know.

One tip you might try, center the new top on the car left to right.  Install
the snaps for the rear bow first.  Then pull the top as tight as you want it
to the back to straighten the back lite and mark the location for the snaps
at the back one at a time.  Should help keep the back lite straight.  Let me
know how this works.  I was afraid to try it on mine.

John Phillips, Claremore, OK
Green Country Triumphs & Jaguar Enthusiasts Club
76 TR6 CF51655   74 TR6 CF 15694
89 XJS Convertible
 http://www.greencountrytriumphs.com/