Re: Triple Webers

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triple Webers
From: "Glen Johnson" <glen@littledevil.com.au>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 12:08:50 +1000
With all this talk about webers being a pain to set up I am now feeling a
little scared about my plans.

I own a 2500 'S' saloon which I will be converting to triple webers or PI
(currently it is twin 1 3/4"SU's). My plans were to order custom inlet
manifolds from Moss and fit preconfigured DCOE45's matched to their exhaust
manifolds and perform similar modifications to the head as they do.

I have read so carefuly over the materials available from moss and over the
book released by D. Vizard with respect to Tuning Triumphs.  Everything I have
read has said that the PI system is the most powerful and the best for punch
but as far as I can tell it is as equally tricky to set up if you have a
modified engine as the webers.  The webers apparently will lack about 10hp on
a tuned system compared to a PI system but will be trouble free when set up.

I assume that everyone here that has used strombergs or SU's has not done a
proper setup using a rolling road config to determine that they are using the
correct profile of needle to get max power from their system.  My experience
with a modified 2500 motor and the use of SU's has been 'satisfactory' to say
the least but I have not been able to iron out flat points and points of
richness in the rev range because it has been too much trouble to find the
right needles.  Just because SU's and strombergs are easy to set up and get
running reliably doesn't mean they are performing as well as they could!

With my ignorance considered I was wondering why there is such concern about
setting the webers up.  The guy at Moss (Terry Hurrel) states all the
necessary settings for the webers and I was led to believe there wouldn't be
too much trouble getting a satisfactory setup with their preconfigured carbs
that they sell.

Has anyone else ordered weber conversion kits from moss and had any success?

Why aren't people on this list considering switching to PI equipment?

There are guys over here that use a highly tuned PI for one of the best
open-road rallies on this planet (see www.targa.org.au ) and comfotably get
around 180BHP from their system on a 2.5PI saloon.  They have geared it for
torque rather than outright power (or so they tell me).

What sort of power figures are people getting from their 2500 motors with
various configurations?

Glen Johnson
Australia
Triumph 2500 S 1977