74 tr6 problems "Ive got it!"

To: <triumps@autox.team.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: 74 tr6 problems "Ive got it!"
From: "Jeff Slaton" <slatonj@vci.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 09:16:40 -0500
Before I give the results I would like to thank you guys for posting me
owners who does everything on the car myself. No matter how good or bad it
looks when I get done.  Everything from paint and body to rebuilding
mechanicals to reupholstering of the trim.  I usually find any problem I
encounter, with time, but this one had thrown me for a loop.  I have not
been able to find the smoking gun.  Thanks so much for the help and advice.
I have learned more about the carbs, fuel system and ignition system on this
car than I would have learned with out the problem.

So..  After pumping on about all that and my 16 years of experienced
ownership of fine English sportscars(also a short fall off the boat into
Italian junk)  captain butthead (me) decided he would take apart the neat-o
glass fuel filter that appeared to be filtering clean fuel.  Just to check
and make sure that was not a problem.  After all everyone had encourage me
to do this first.  I quickly noticed I had put the filter on backwards.
Uah...Uah..  well you I have been know to do stupid things in life (like I
said Italian cars) but hey, all my years of turing screws on these things I
would not over look something like that would I?  Well,  all I can say is
that if a person puts the filter on backwards the debris in the fuel system
gets trapped on the inside of the filter where it can not be seen thought
the filter.  Had I put on correctly I would have noticed it being dirty real
quick.  My filter was in a vertical location in the fuel line and when I
started the car up the trash had not been sucked up in the filter and after
running the car for a few minutes it would clog itself again.

Yes, I will admit when I'm stupid.  All my experience down the drain.
Thanks again you guys for looking out for me.

Jeff Slaton
Murray Kentucky. I'll be driving the 6 today. :)