Re: 74 tr6 problems

To: "Jeff Slaton" <slatonj@vci.net>, <triumps@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: 74 tr6 problems
From: "Bernard Robbins, NEC New Zealand Ltd" <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 08:20:34 +1200
Hi Jeff,

Just wondering how does the exhaust smell while you are running?

I had a triumph Dolomite that I loaned to my then girlfriends father for
the weekend and he had the same problem - car ran fine when it was cold but
cut out when warm.  Turned out that he wasn't used to a manual choke and
never pushed it in hence when the car was cold it ran fine, but when it was
warm the mixture was too rich and it cut out.

Let us know how you get on...

Cheers
Bernard Robbins
'71 2500
'73 TR6

At 23:21 23/08/2001 -0500, Jeff Slaton wrote:
>Well Gang,
>I'm about to give up and seek a professional.  I'm at a lose on what is wrong
>with my 74 TR6.  It has had a problem all summer long I can not locate.  I'll
>work on it for a few days and then quit for a few weeks thinking it will come
>too me but has yet to do so.
>
>It will start up and run for about 10 minutes or so and when it gets up to
>temperature it cuts out and quits.  the correct running time varies from each
>time I have tried it.  I have manage to limp it home every trial run I've
made
>but this last time it almost didn't restart at all after quitting.
>
>I have done a number of different things that others have suggested but none
>of them have produced any different results.  Here is the list of things I
>have done trying to eliminate the problem.
>
>#1 Replace the ignition system with an electronic system (Fireball from
>moss).
>#2 Eliminate the ballast resistor and up grade the coil.
>#3 Rebuilt the carbs
>#4 Rebuilt the fuel pump.
>#5 Replaces all rubber fuel lines and replace the fuel filter.
>#5 Check and replaced most of the emission system egr lines and check for
>leaks.
>#6 checked the reassembly of the distributor.
>

>I do not know what to do next.  Here is a list of things I have toyed with in
>my mind that might be wrong.  Maybe this will give someone an idea what the
>deal is.
>
>#1 Improper carb rebuild..
>#2 Manifold leak noticed only after the car gets warm.
>#3 Incorrectly working egr valve.
>

>any ideas might be a help.  The car has been doing this since the spring
and I
>have had a busy summer thus no TR driving or time to work on it.  I have had
>the car apart and it has only been back together for about 300 miles and I
>have not been able to enjoy it at all.
>thanks
>Jeff Slaton
>Murray Kentucky