Removal of 74-76 TR6 (USA) bumper guards

To: "6pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Removal of 74-76 TR6 (USA) bumper guards
From: "JPHaeg" <haeg1@mninter.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:18:05 -0600
I tend to be a "keep it stock" type of person, but I'm dreaming about removing
the rubber bumper guards from my 75 TR6, and possibly lowering the bumpers
into there proper position. Is there an obvious solution, or compromise to
this situation? I can't be the first TR6 owner that hates these ugly bumper
guards. What have others done? (I see nothing on Listquest regarding this
topic)

A few questions:
1) If the bumper guards are removed, what is underneath them. Just a few holes
in the bumper, or are there big square welded on brackets. If the results
aren't too ugly, this may be a nice compromise solution.
2) Will an early set of bumpers bolt right on, but at a higher height? If so,
the biggest issue would be the turn signal lights. Would original style turn
signal lights fit above the raised bumpers? Isn't that how the 1974 cars are?
3) I was starting to think that the older front bumper would bolt on at the
lower position, but the bolt holes in the front fenders would be too high, and
I would have two openings above the bumper. Is this true? If so, will the
original style turn signal lights cover the big openings in the front
valance?

Note: I have a set of 73 bumpers, turn lights and frame mounting brackets
(rear).

Thanks for any help,
John H. in Minneapolis