Re: Rebuilt engine running rich

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuilt engine running rich
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 08:39:46 -0500
     As far as the champion plugs, it just seemed I got a lot of bad ones
right out of the box. It now seems the Bosch ones can do the same. I'll go
back to Champion and give 'em a try. Especially since I put the old ones
back in and it now runs. I had pulled the tops of the carbs off, checked the
needles and jets and thought they looked egged a bit, although the general
concensus was that with about 72,000 miles they shouldn't be that bad.  I
ordered a set of needles, but we tried everything from a nuetral point
first. I believe we were adjusting the needles the wrong way at first,
although we went all the way in and out, but with the other settings not
being right we went over the edge and it all started becoming redundant.(
hint- screwing the allen wrench clockwise, or in, pulls the needle up, for a
richer mix. Backwards of what one would expect-until the manual is actually
read..) This time around went much better, although right off the bat, we
noticed a bit of a skip, and found 2 plugs misfiring. After swapping them
out, things got better. More mistakes were made, more lessons were
learned............I now have a spare set of needles & my car now seems
quite happy. Thank you again for your help.
    Kevin D. Thompson
    CF55588U+O
    Cape Cod British Car Club