Rear shock conversion

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear shock conversion
From: "P.J.T. Alferink" <Fam.Alferink@Zonnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:03:13 +0100
I purchased some rear Koni shocks for my '73 TR6 (David Friedlander, thanks
for your input). I also purchased uprated springs and plan on upgrading the
rear in the coming month. Thinking about the conversion, the following came
to mind.
The present lever-arm shocks also determine the limit of the downward
movement of the trailing arm (rubber on the chassis, compressed by the
lever-arm at maximum down). The new shocks do not limit the movement in such
a way. The only limit may be obtained by maximum extension of the shock.
Should I install the shocks in such a way that indeed the maximum extension
of the shock determines the maximum down of the trailing arm?
Can the shock stand such mistreatment?
If indeed the maximum down is max extension of the shock, then the forces on
the chassis at maximum down will be completely different. Any problems with
longer term stability of the shock mounts on the chassis?
What are your experiences (Moss offering such a system I reckon that some of
you have the conversion in place)?

Alternatively, couldn't I install the shocks in addition to the lever-arm
shocks and mount them inside the spring (just as Revington is doing)? Did
anybody try this?
With the shock in spring design downward forces are introduced on the
topframe where the top of the spring is seated. Is this why Revington, who
advocates the shock in spring design) speaks of "some minor welding being
required"? Does any of the listers have experience with this system?

Your comments are highly appreciated.
Pim, Pimento CF1362U (now with overdrive)