Re: TR6 diff mount bracket crack. Repair suggestions?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 diff mount bracket crack. Repair suggestions?
From: edwin.mcguirk@db.com
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:18:36 -0400

I suspect the Roadster Factory was talking about the geometry of the drive
shaft and half shafts. Of course the half shafts move but I guess there is an
optimum resting angle. The drive shaft doesn't move (we hope!) but I think that
the goal is to have the trans and the diff be as close as possible to perfectly
aligned (to the point that Ujoints aren't even needed - theoretically).

I would assume that anything less than optimum would cause the Ujoints to wear
out prematurely and maybe even the diff bearings.

In the real world, I would think that anything less than 1/16th" on one mount
would not make a measurable difference in wear and hopefully not a noticeable
difference in noise. I would risk my car on that guess but you might feel
uncomfortable with that risk.

Ed McGuirk
76 TR6
86 Rx7