2000-register

Re: Gearbox Queries!

To: russell@daftconsulting.co.uk
Subject: Re: Gearbox Queries!
From: BrewsterDd@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:22:37 EDT
In a message dated 7/10/01 9:57:14 AM GMT Daylight Time,
russell@daftconsulting.co.uk writes:

Russell,

I well remember head scratching on this one too! Hopefully you have three
small 'looms' of wires.

The first (160336) has two wires (green and green with brown) in a black
plastic outer with bullet connectors at the bellhousing end and spade
connectors at the other. THis runs along the LHS of the gearbox top. The
bullet connectors should connect to your main loom on the bulkhead, just
above the bellhousing (at the rear of the engine). All being well, there
should be wires of the same colours on the bulkhead! The spade ends connect
to the reverse lamps switch on the side of the 'box. The green lead goes onto
the double terminal on this switch.

To the other part of the double spade attachment on the reverse switch, you
connect the green spade connector on the second loom (160193, which will also
contain yellow and purple wires). On the other end of this green wire should
be a male bullet connector. Using a  male to male adaptor, this connects to
one of the two cables that comes down through the gearstick (part 153726). It
shouldn't matter which of the two cables from the gearstick you use, but make
sure that they cannot earth through the stick!

To the second male bullet connector on the gearstick lead, use a second male
to male adaptor to connect to the only yellow and purple wire (in 160193) to
have a bullet connector. The other end of this yellow and purple wire should
have a spade connector, which should go on one of the terminals on the switch
on the gearbox selector top. From the other terminal on this switch, the
other yellow and purple wire should run down to the solenoid. The solenoid
itself may have a little earth lead.

Hopefully this will make sense if you compare it to the Haynes general wiring
diagram.

David Brewster (Edinburgh)

> Hi people,
>
> Just a quick one - can someone provide me with some guidance regarding
> electrical connections to the man/od gearbox (j-type) on the 2500S? The
> Haynes manual is less than helpful.
>
> Firstly - which of the two switches on the selector housing is the
> reversing light switch - the one on the side or the one on the top? I'd
> rather *know* than use trial and error. :)
>
> Secondly - what electrical connections are required to the overdrive
> solenoid? I'm assuming there's one earth and one (switched from the
> gearstick top switch) live. Is this correct?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Russ

///
///  2000-register@autox.team.net mailing list