2000-register

more on the PI set-up!

Subject: more on the PI set-up!
From: "Dave W" <dw_triumph@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:27:09 +1200
Hello again,
The problem pipes have been changing daily lately! I cut out the
mandrel-bent pipes and went to fit them onto the manifolds, but no way would
they even look like going over the take-offs, yet the part of the pipe that
hadn't gone through the machine was a really good fit, they must get
stretched going through and shrink slightly. Before I took to the PI system
with an axe, I went and got the pipes from the neighbours front lawn (where
they'd landed!...) and cut up sections around 5mm across and inserted them
into the original rubber pipes as support, and it's worked the vacuum isn't
pulling them in. One or two are leaking around the manifold ends so I'll
need to put some sort of sealer (does anyone recommend any brands??) around
the lips, apart from that it seems to be a success.
I went out for a test drive but ran out of petrol 3 miles down the road
thanks to a loose wire on the sender giving the wrong reading, I had enough
time though to find out it was still on the lean side so I gave it a bit
more juice and it's going quite well.

It's all been worth it though with the improved throttle response - the
pedal only needs a very light touch for the revs to shoot up - the idle is
very smooth and it should be a bit more efficient using a less fuel.

If anyone else is thinking of doing the conversion I hope all my experiences
haven't put you off!! I think it's well worth doing on the PI's, if only so
you don't burn your fingers on the exhaust doing those old adjustment
rods!!!
Good motoring

Dave W

///