2000-register

Misc questions

To: 2000 List <2000-register@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Misc questions
From: clifford.pope@virgin.net
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 14:18:24 -0700
Hullo,
I'm not quite sure where I'm meant to be posting messages for the group,
as I get weird incomplete messages here. Lots of them seem to begin
mid-sentence, as if the first bit had got lost somewhere, or else refer
to an on-going discusion which I have not seen.

Anyway, I have a few puzzles I wonder if anyone can answer, re Mk 1
2000.

1) A fairly new rotor arm broke up recently, apparently because the
spring inside had rusted. Fortunately the Luminition rotor was
undamaged, and I just reverted to the old rotor. I now notice rapid wear
of the brass contact, as if the carbon contact of the new cap were
extra-tough. Can this be the case, so are distributor caps and rotor
arms of different vintages not compatible? (The old rotor was working
perfectly in the old cap, I just renewed it all to be on the safe side
after an overhaul)

2) I have been using Millers VSP plus with standard unleaded for over a
year now, and find the engine performance fine. No modifications to
engine or timing, and the valve clearances stay spot on. However, I
notice that the plugs now cake up with a dusty, rusty-looking deposit,
which I presume is Manganese. It doesn't seem to matter, except that
they benefit from cleaning more often than before.
Is this normal, are the valves and pistons similarly getting coated, and
would regular cleaning through with Redex or something be useful?

3)  I've just had the speedo angle drive fail at the gearbox. There is a
2" length of flexible speedo cable, which I presume is supposed to have
a square section at each end. The outer (angle drive) end was completly
rounded off. I took another off a spare gearbox, and found that the same
thing had happened to that one, except that it was rounded at the
gearbox end.
Do these commonly fail, why is only one end affected, rather than
wearing evenly, and why don't they supply the bits of flexible cable
separately? I've shelled out #30 for a complete new angle drive now, but
maybe someone has a way of making a substitute cable?

Cliff Pope

///
///  2000-register@autox.team.net mailing list
///